What's the Holidays without Pumpkin Pie? If you're anything like us, during the Holidays you probably wish you could eat a slice of this perfectly sweet and spiced goodness every day! But like your mom probably told you: "everything in moderation". Well our favorite Paleo "Mom" aka The Paleo Mom has whipped up the recipe for "The Best Paleo Pumpkin Pie". From her family to yours, enjoy and Happy Holidays!
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: 20-22 minutes
Ingredients (Pie Crust):
- 1 ¼ cups raw walnut halves (you could also substitute pecans)
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 egg white
- Generous pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Grind walnuts in a food processor or blender until finely ground and almost starting to turn into walnut butter (i.e., just starting to clump together).
- Mix walnuts, almond flour, egg white, and salt together (you can pulse in your food processor or do this by hand).
- Press/pinch into a 9” pie plate (an 8” deep dish pie plate will work too).
- Pierce the crust with a fork every ¼” or so to stop the shell from bubbling up while it bakes.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until starting to turn golden brown.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before pouring the Pumpkin Pie mixture in.
Ingredients (Pumpkin Pie):
- 1 ¾ cups pumpkin puree (use fresh or this is the equivalent of a 15 oz. can)
- 2/3 cups raw walnut halves
- 1/3 cup raw or roasted unsalted cashews
- 3 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F (if you’re making your pie right after making the crust, just reduce the temperature).
- Place cashews and walnuts in your food processor or blender and pulse until finely ground. Add eggs, honey and maple syrup and blend for 2-3 minutes until completely smooth (you could also add some of the water if it’s too thick for your food processor or blender to puree well). It is very important to blend until completely smooth, otherwise your custard will be watery.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until combined.
- Pour into cooled pie shell (doesn’t need to be room temperature, just cool enough to touch). Spread the top out evenly with a spatula.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Allow pie to cool completely before serving.